Decoding Dyslexia Missouri
About Decoding Dyslexia-MO
Decoding Dyslexia-MO is a grassroots movement driven by Missouri families and educators who recognize the need for conversations with our school districts and policy makers regarding dyslexia. Our organization strives to raise dyslexia awareness, empower families to support their children, and improve resources for students with dyslexia in Missouri schools.
Our group is made up of families with children who have dyslexia and the educators and professionals that support them. We are not experts, nor are we a business or educational organization. We encourage parents to connect with one another, tell the stories of their children, and meet with school officials and their local policy-makers to ask for policies and legislation that support children with dyslexia.
- Educate: To Raise Awareness on the large number of children with dyslexia and their silent struggles.
- Advocate: To Empower parents with information and resources, enabling them to meet the needs of their children with dyslexia.
- Legislate: To Shape Policy that will create a learning environment so every child can reach their potential.
Decoding Dyslexia Missouri is advocating for:
- A universal definition and understanding of “dyslexia” in the state education code
- Mandatory teacher training on dyslexia, its warning signs and appropriate intervention strategies
- Access to appropriate “assistive technologies” in the public school setting for students with dyslexia
- Mandatory early screening tests for dyslexia
- Mandatory dyslexia remediation programs, which can be accessed by both general and special education populations
We hope to create a collective voice in Missouri and across the country: with one mission – to improve awareness and educational resources for students with dyslexia.
Visit us at:
Decoding Dyslexia-MO registered as a non-profit in Missouri in 2013. In three years, we have hosted numerous educational events in Kansas City, St. Louis, Springfield, and Jefferson City. We have responded to hundreds of calls and emails from families looking for support for their child with dyslexia. We have successfully worked in the legislature in getting dyslexia bills sponsored every year since 2013. In June of 2016, Governor Nixon signed HB2379, a bill DD-MO worked to get passed. HB2379 requires the screening of every student in MO for dyslexia and mandates schools to provide teachers with two hours annually of training on dyslexia and related disorders. If a child is identified as having traits of dyslexia, schools are required to provide "support" to that child (low cost best practices such as extended time on exams). The bill also established the Legislative Task Force on Dyslexia. The Task Force is charged with making recommendations for a statewide system of identification, interventions, and delivery of supports for students with dyslexia.
Thank you for your donation
100% of proceeds will fund programs such as "Hill Day," dyslexia simulations, movie screenings, and website expenses. We have no administrative overhead or fundraising expenses. There are no dues of fees to be a member of Decoding Dyslexia-MO and we never charge for our programs. We rely solely on the generosity of donors such as yourself.